The Mayor of the municipality performs the functions provided by the Law on Local Self-Government and Local Administration as:
1. manages the entire executive activity of the municipality;
2. submit for approval by the municipal council the structure of the municipal administration;
3. appoint and dismiss the deputy mayors of the municipality, the mayors' deputies, the heads of the units of maintenance from the municipal budget, the employees in the municipal administration with the exception of those under art. 46, para. 1, item 4 of the Law on Local Self-Government and Local Administration and imposes disciplinary sanctions provided for by the law;
4. responsible for the protection of the public order by issuing written orders obligatory for the heads of the respective police services;
5. organizes and is responsible for the development and implementation of the municipal budget;
6. organize the implementation of long-term programs;
7. organize the implementation of the acts of the Kotel Municipal Council and submits a report to the Municipal Council on their implementation twice a year;
8. organize the fulfillment of the tasks deriving from the laws, from the acts of the President of the Republic and of the Council of Ministers;
9. assigns the execution of his functions to the mayors of the mayoralties, coordinates and controls the expedience and the legality of their implementation. Controls the legality of acts and actions of mayoralities in the exercise of their powers and has the right to revoke their acts;
10. maintain contacts with political parties, public organizations and movements, as well as with other local government authorities in the country and abroad;
11. organize and manage the municipality during crisis;
12. assign or permit the elaboration of development plans and their amendments for the territory of the municipality or for parts thereof and approve certain development plans under the conditions and by the order of the Spatial Development Act and organize their implementation;
13. perform the functions of a civil status official and may assign this function by a written order to the mayors of the mayoralties, which maintain registers for the civil status, the mayor's deputies and other officials of the municipal administration;
14. provides the organizational and technical service of the Kotel Municipal Council and participates in its meetings with the right to an advisory vote;
15. represents the municipality before physical and legal persons and before the court;
16. approve the statutes of the municipal administration;
17. sends to the Municipal Council the administrative acts as well as the treaties and their amendments and supplements issued in implementation of the acts adopted by the Council within three days from their issuance or signing.
18. exercises his powers to acquire, manage and dispose of the municipal property, not included in the capital of municipal companies under the terms and conditions regulated in the Municipal Property Act;
19. perform the functions of guardianship body;
20. determine the names of the positions of the civil servants and their distribution in groups and ranks, according to the Unified Classifier of the positions in the administration adopted by the Council of Ministers on the grounds of Art.2, para.2 of the Civil Servants Act;
21. assigns the ranks of the civil servants, according to Art. 74 of the Civil Servants Act;
22. appoint disciplinary council according to the Art. 95 of the Civil Servants Act.
23. approves the official schedule of the employees in the municipal administration;
24. organizes the development of partnership relations with municipalities from the country and abroad and with non-governmental organizations;
25. direct and coordinate the activities of the specialized executive bodies.
(2) The mayor of the municipality shall carry out other functions determined by a normative or sub-normative act or by a decision of the Kotel Municipal Council.
(3) The mayor of the municipality, in the cases determined by a normative act, also performs functions assigned to it by the central state bodies.
(4) In exercising his powers the mayor of the municipality issues orders.
(5) The mayor of the municipality presents to the municipal council a management program for the term of office within three months from the taking of the oath. The program contains the main objectives, priorities, activities, deadlines for implementation and expected results. The mayor of the municipality shall submit to the municipal council an annual report on the implementation of the program by 31 January.